Cleveland Clinic Lou Ruvo Center for Brain Health, Las Vegas: Alzheimer's Disease and Related Dementia
- Cleveland Clinic Lou Ruvo Center for Brain Health, Las Vegas has provided clinical care service of individuals living with ADRD and supported caregivers in Nevada since 2009.
- Partnering with the NIHAN, the Cleveland Clinic’s ADRD Project Team led by Dr. Dylan, a degenerative neurologic disease expert provides training to healthcare professionals, students, and caregivers who are serving older adults with ADRD throughout the state of Nevada including rural and remote areas.
- The training based on IPE (Interprofessional Education) curriculum is tailored by types of healthcare professionals and students and is delivered through live streaming technology and distance e-learning. The training courses are certified to offer continuing education credits.
- Cleveland Clinic’s ADRD Project collaborates with the state-wide Dementia-Friendly Nevada action groups and Nevada Area Health Education Centers to deliver the dementia caregiver education.
Nevada Adult Day Healthcare Centers: Alternatives to nursing home placement
- Nevada Adult Day Healthcare Center at the Eastern location provides healthcare services for 100-150 low-income older adults and disabled adults daily.
- The center is staffed with skilled nurses, rehabilitation, and recreation therapists. To enhance the Center’s primary care services, the NIHAN supports the center by hiring the geriatric nurse practitioner who works closely with the staff and the NIHAN team.
- The nurse practitioner and the staff in the center participate in NIHAN training programs and apply the 4M framework, core elements of geriatrics care to daily practice to improve clinical outcomes of older adults such as avoiding high-risk medication use including opioids and to prevent or defer institutionalization of frail elderly and disabled adults.
William Bee Ririe Rural Health Clinic: Rural healthcare partner
- Since 1905, William Bee Ririe Critical Access Hospital and Rural Health Clinic (WBRH) has served the rural community continuously improving not only the quality of care for individual patients, but also access to care for the elderly, the poor, and the uninsured.
- Located in Ely, Nevada WBRH is the only critical access hospital available in the rural area.
- Partnering with the NIHAN Project, Dr. David Byun, DO, as the Rural Clinic Site Director coordinates the clinic’s healthcare professionals to participate in NIHAN training programs and to apply the 4M framework to their daily practice; improving clinical outcomes with older adults in the rural community.
- WBRH provides the geriatric community with innovative ways of accessing the health system that is conducive to the rural community environment. Working to close the gap associated with the limitations of healthcare resources available for the Northern Nevada rural communities.
Volunteers in Medicine of Southern Nevada: Serving economically disadvantaged patients
- Volunteers in Medicine of Southern Nevada (VMSN) provides integrated medical, dental, pharmacy, and behavioral care services for economically disadvantaged older adults.
- The VMSN incorporates the principles of value-based care and strives for improving clinical outcomes of economically disadvantaged older adults in Southern Nevada using evidence-based integrative diabetes self-management education.
- Most older adults and their caregivers being served in the VMSN have culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds. The VMSN provides educational materials that are translated in different languages and created according to the health literacy levels of older adults and caregivers.